Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Experiences mold the child

Yesterday I was fortunate enough to be in attendance at the high school when the Twins Caravan stopped by. I won't bore you with all of the details, but Tony Oliva was part of the entourage that stopped by. Now if you don't know Tony it doesn't matter because what he is famous for is not important. What is important is what I saw. Tony is from Cuba. Tony is dark skinned. Tony has a heavy accent that can be hard to follow. I realized as I listened to him speak that this may very well be the first time any of the students in grades 7-12 have seen a Cuban. This also may be the first time they have had to concentrate on what was being said as to not miss a word. Tony only answered a few questions, but he had me hanging on every word. He is such an interesting person and has so much life experiences to share. I am glad that the students of CHS were able to experience this moment even if it was brief. I am sure that Tony will left a lasting impression. I would like to think that he spawned enough interest that some students went home that night and did a little research on this man and his home country. It is experiences like this that spawn imagination and help children develop dreams and imagine places outside of home. Never miss an opportunity to try new experiences, they may just have a lasting effect on you.

No comments: