Friday, January 7, 2011

Bullying from November 2010 Newsletter

Dear Central Families,
Kidding, teasing, bullying, and harassing have been happening at schools, on the ball fields, and in the backyards since who knows when. In other words, these behaviors aren’t new. Nor are these behaviors ok. And these behaviors need to be addressed when they happen.
It seems as if many people have their own definition of kidding, teasing, bullying, and harassing. I believe, before we can address these behaviors, involved parties need to agree upon a common definition. My simple definitions are:
• Kidding – When I think the joke about me is funny. In other words I can laugh at myself.
• Teasing – I don’t like what is being said about me. My feelings are hurt.
• Bullying – I’m afraid and feel intimidated. I try to avoid you, but you seek me out. A bully is a person that uses their power to intentionally (physical or psychosocial), intimidate, mistreat or hurt someone in a group that is weaker.
• Harassing – I am teased or bullied because of my race, my religion, my disability, or my gender.
I could focus on the laws and policies that govern this matter, but it really comes down to RESPECT and treating others the way we would want to be treated. I wish I could tell you that schools can fix the problem of bullying and harassment, but we can’t do it by ourselves. In my opinion the real fix has to come from the home. I encourage parents to
teach their children at an early age to respect and treat others the way they would want to be treated. It’s very important for parents to teach their children that it isn’t ok to make fun of someone different from them. I also encourage parents to teach their children how to clearly tell someone to stop teasing them before the teasing becomes bullying. I further encourage parents to help their children know when to ask for help if the teasing has turned to bullying or
harassment so it can be addressed and stopped.
With the advent of students having cell phones and using the inter-net, the problem of cyber bullying has arisen throughout our country. Cyber bullying typically is more of a middle school and high school problem, but I was made aware that this is a problem at the elementary as well. Here are a few things parents can do to keep their child safe from cyber bullying:
• Keeping the house computer in a common area of the house like your kitchen. This way you are more likely to see what your children are viewing.
• Check the websites that were visited on your home computer weekly.
• Limit cell phone use, including text messaging, for your children.
• Don’t permit cell phone use by your children in their bedrooms. You really should know whom your elementary child is talking with.
• Only have cell phones charged in a common area of your home so you know if the cell phone is being used or not.
• And finally, remember you are the adult and your child is the child. You really do know what is best. They just think they do.
Our school will continue doing our best to have a bully free and a harassment free environment. Rest assured that when bullying and harassing allegations are brought to my attention the allegations will be investigated immediately. I have always strictly followed our school district policy guidelines to stop any bullying and harassing behaviors at Central to the best of my ability. I take this part of my responsibility as your child’s principal very seriously.

No comments: